Yes, there is such a thing as “active undies” or “exercise undies.” Like granny undies for your period days or black lingerie for your hot date, we need to choose appropriate intimates for exercise. Here’s why:
- Keeping your lady parts happy: Strange but true, your undies need to be equipped to deal with sweat and exercise. You’ll have to rethink the old cotton undies. “Bacteria and yeast tend to grow in warm, moist places. I hate to use that word because I don’t like it, but it’s true.” Says Scott Osmun, a board-certified OB-GYN physician at BloomOB-GYN in Washington, D.C. He added, “Any extra moisture in the vaginal area can definitely promote yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis.” That’s why the actual material of your undies and specifically the lining’s material is really important to keep those lady parts healthy. You want underwear that is breathable, moisture-wicking (i.e. they absorb any sweat) and also quick-drying. Materials such as cotton are breathable but don’t dry quickly. Meaning if you sweat, your undies will stay moist and could become a health risk. Spandex and other synthetic materials are quick-drying but aren’t breathable. You need to get the right combo between the actual underwear and the inner underwear lining to get the best of both worlds. We recommend Yellow Willow Active Undies which use synthetics for the actual underwear but with an ultra-thin 100% cotton lining which is breathable, so it will absorb moisture, but won’t stay wet for long.
- Designed for Movement: Like being equipped for sweat and moisture, your undies also need to be designed to move with your body, no matter what position you’re in. Whether you’re squatting, kicking, running, stretching or bending, your undies need to come with you. Cotton undies, although comfy, often won’t have much give in the fabric, which means they will dig or move around a lot during your workout or yoga session (which can often lead to the attempted subtle wedgie-pick or undie rearranging when the rest of the class is not looking). We love the Yellow Willow Invisible Active undies because they are designed to move with your body during your workout, no matter the position you happen to be in. As they are designed to move and change shape, they will also stay in place on your body, so no digging, no rolling, no bunching, and no riding - these babies will stay put!
- Say no to VPL: As much as most of us hate to admit it, thoughts sometimes wonder to what other people think of us – and we want to feel good about ourselves too. A VPL and the seams of your undies can dig in all the wrong places, leading us to lose that nice soft shape on our backsides. That’s why seamless undies are often the way to go when wearing leggings or tights. They mold to your curves, hugging your skin, making sure you have curves in all the right places. However, the issue with many of the seamless underwear out there is that they are often made from synthetic materials that aren’t very compatible with exercise, i.e. not able to absorb sweat and can, therefore, lead to yeast infections. Look for a seamless pair with a fine or thin cotton gusset that will absorb moisture in the most important area.
- Distraction-proof comfy undies: Exercise is precious, me-time. It should be the time when we are totally focussed on exercise, connecting with our minds and bodies – not thinking about our undies. Undies that act like they are barely there, or not there at all is the undies we need to aim for. It will ensure you get the most out of your workout, and the most out of you, which means a healthier, happier you. That’s why we love Yellow Willow’s Invisible Active Undies – they are invisible to the wearer and you’ll feel like you aren’t wearing undies at all which can mean you can take your workout to the next level.
- Feel secure and feel good: Most of us subconsciously or consciously choose our undies to suit our day and our mood. For exercise, it’s important to choose undies that help us feel good about ourselves and our bodies. “Feeling good while exercising will help you to put in that extra effort while working out. When we put in extra effort, we will most likely burn some extra calories or have the confidence to take our workout to the next level.” Says Yellow Willow founder, Jess Incledon. “That’s one of the best features of our Invisible Active Undies range – they feel great on. They have the unique benefit of being supportive, so they feel firm on, while not digging in at the wrong places and remaining completely invisible. The firmness of the material also means they stay in place on the body, even while you move.”
Want to know more about Yellow Willow’s Invisible Active Undies range? Head over to the SHOP section of their website where there are more details on the range, available sizes, colors, and reviews. Invisible Active Undies are available in the USA and Australia with free shipping. Yellow Willow also ship globally. Head to their shipping information to find out more about international shipping prices, rates, and shipping lead times.